All chemistry majors belong to the college's student affiliate chapter of the American Chemical Society. In addition, there are student chapters of the Association for Computing Machinery, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Society for the Advancement of Latino Scientific Achievement and the Society of Women Engineers.
Harvey Mudd College, in cooperation with the other Claremont Colleges, holds institutional memberships in the American Mathematical Society, Mathematical Association of America, Association for Symbolic Logic and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, and may nominate undergraduates as members.
Students majoring in physics may become members of the Society of Physics Students, the student section of the American Institute of Physics. Members of the society are eligible for election to the honor society of Sigma Pi Sigma.
Students in biology, mathematical biology and chemical biology may become members of national professional societies including the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, American Society of Plant Biology and American Society for Cell Biology.
- Asian Pacific Islander Support Program at Mudd (API SPAM)
- International Place
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- The Society for the Advancement of Latino Scientific Achievement (SALSA)
- Student for Middle Eastern Cultural Promotion (SMECP)
Community Service Groups
One major way HMC promotes volunteer service is through its sponsorship of the Strauss Internship for Social Understanding. For 10 weeks during the summer, Strauss interns work with a non-profit social service agency, gaining understanding of people and situations different from themselves.
A student Community Service Coordinator, under the supervision of Chris Sundberg, also works to help coordinate events with Mudders Making a Difference. Projects include things like blood drives, Shoes that Fit (a shoe donation program for local elementary school children), the Prison Library Project, the Walk for the Hungry, trail maintenance and the Christmas Blessing project. A spring break trip is also typically planned each year to the Paiute Indian Reservation in Big Pine, California, or more recently to the Gulf States to aid with the clean-up from Hurricane Katrina. In the past, students have helped residents dig irrigation ditches, paint houses and fire hydrants, remove debris, plant trees and improve sanitation facilities.
A large community service fair is held each fall for students at The Claremont Colleges. Many of the activities are coordinated by the Office of the Chaplains. Students also have the option of joining the community service group Increasing Harvey Mudd Traditional Practices (IHTP).
Fine and Performing Arts Groups
Students audition for many of the dramatic productions mounted throughout The Claremont Colleges. In addition, HMC has its own theatre group known as The etc. Players (extremely theatrically confused).
The Claremont Concert Orchestra––supported through the Joint Music Program of CMC, HMC, Pitzer, and Scripps––is open to all students at the Claremont Colleges.
Students have the option to become members of the Concert Choir—a large choral ensemble that performs music composed from 1700 to the present, with an emphasis on major works—and the Chamber Choir, which focuses on music composed from 1500 to the present and for smaller ensembles. Both groups are members of the Pacific Southwest Intercollegiate Choral Association. Members of both choirs come from Harvey Mudd College, CMC, Scripps and Pitzer and are chosen after auditions.
Students also have the opportunity to join the Jam Society (musician club), HMC's band, the jazz ensemble and one of the many a cappella groups on the 5Cs.
The Linde Activities Center, which opened in 1998, is HMC's main facility for recreation, meetings, fitness and activities. It offers a wide selection of DVDs and videos. Several student clubs and organizations also offer recreational activities:
- Astronomy Club
- Barnstormers (aeronautics)
- The Braineaters–the Claremont Colleges Ultimate Frisbee team
- Breakdancing Club
- Bridge Club
- Chemistry Club
- The Claremont Colleges Ballroom Dance Company
- The Claremont Colleges Triathlon Club
- Claremont Women's Lacrosse
- Claremont Colleges Women's Rugby Football Club
- Cricket Club
- DeltaH (outdoor club)
- ESW/MOSS (environmental club)
- Fe2 Chefs
- Fencing Club
- Fun Activities
- Gonzo Unicycle Madness (Unicycle Club)
- H2Overdrive (Surfing Club)
- Hash House Harriers (HHH)
- Harvey Wallbangers Climbing Club (HWCC)
- IHTP (Increasing Harvey Mudd's Traditional Practices)
- InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
- Jam Society (Musician Club)
- Martial Arts Club
- Math Club
- Mudd Amateur Rocket Club
- Mudd Business Association (MBA)
- Mudd Occasional Ball (dancing)
- Mudd Creative Collective (MuCC)
- Mudd Investment Fund (MIF)
- Mudders Making a Difference
- Nintendo Entertainment System Techmo Super Bowl Club for Students of Harvey Mudd College (NESTSBCSHMC)
- Paintball Club
- Photography Club
- Ping Pong Club
- Poker Club
- Quiz Bowl
- Roller Hockey Club
- RPG Club
- Sailing Club
- Science Bus
- Sewing Club
- Soccer Club
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- SpinSHMC (DJ/Mixing Club)
- Wine Enthusiasts
For information about some off-campus clubs, look here:
- Pomona College Clubs
- Claremont McKenna Clubs and Organizations
- Pitzer Clubs and Organizations
- Scripps Student Activities
The Claremont Colleges are served by the interfaith Office of the Chaplains. Three full-time chaplains, representing the Jewish, Roman Catholic and Protestant faiths, share the facilities of McAlister Center for Religious Activities and affirm the diversity of religious traditions. McAlister Center offers a full schedule of weekday and Sabbath worship for a wide range of religious traditions. The Office of the Chaplains sponsors a number of student organizations open to all students.
Student Media Groups
- The Muddraker: HMC's student newspaper
- Claremont Student: a monthly newspaper of the Claremont Colleges
- The Student Life: the weekly newspaper of Pomona College
- Claremont Independent: a conservative monthly journal of the Claremont Colleges
- The Claremont Port Side: a liberal monthly journal of Claremont McKenna College
- KSPC: Radio Station for the 5C's
- HMC's yearbook